Friends of the Elephant, 250 San Simeon Ave, Suite 3B, San Simeon, CA 93452
RETAIL SALES ASSISTANT
Friends of the Elephant Seal
Friendly, detail-oriented and organized team member sought for part-time staff assistant role in the Friends of the Elephant Seal. The Retail Sales Assistant will support the organization’s ordering, management and sales of inventory, promoting the natural habitat of the Central Coast of California.
Successful candidate must bring retail experience, computer proficiency, excellent customer service skills and a love of the ocean. Will provide training on the northern elephant seal, other marine mammals and local marine life and the natural and cultural resources of the area.
The Retail Sales Assistant for Friends of the Elephant Seal (FES) is a part-time, hourly (24-30 hrs/week) position that assists with the management of a small retail operation in a 1000 sq ft Visitor Center.
Reports to: Director of Operations
Hours and Schedule:
This part-time position involves 4 days a week from 9:30 AM-4:00 PM including regularly scheduled shifts on weekends and holidays. Pay rate $18.50-20.00 an hour, commensurate with experience.
Health and Safety Requirements:
As a cooperating association with California State Parks, our organization is in compliance with all required and recommended health and safety guidelines.
- Two years of college or an Associate degree with coursework in business or high school diploma with equivalent experience in retail sales.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills.
- Volunteer or work experience using databases and Microsoft Office, including Excel.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills, with a history of error-free high quality work products/ outcomes.
- Two or more years of retail experience, including assisting with inventory management, merchandise display and point of sale transactions.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Preferred Qualifications (Meets all minimum qualifications plus the following)
- Graduation from an accredited four-year university with a degree in business or related field.
- Two or more years of retail experience, including ordering, storing, pricing and reporting sales.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone. Has ability to understand the speech of volunteers and co-workers and to speak clearly to be understood by same in English.
- Dexterity of hands, fingers, and wrist to operate a computer keyboard and calculator.
- Seeing to read and reviewing a variety of materials.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Ability to stand for the entire workday and to climb steps regularly.
- Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs.
- Kneeling, squatting and reaching in small spaces.
- Physical presence at the job site as needed to perform job duties.
- Traveling on an as needed basis to outside meetings and other locations. (Mileage reimbursement as needed)
Background Check: This position requires a background check
- Valid California Driver’s license, reliable transportation and proof of insurance.
- Will require scheduled weekend and holiday workdays
- Training will be provided on the natural history and biology of elephant seals and central coast marine life.
Health and Safety Requirements: As a cooperating association with California State Parks, our organization is in compliance with all health and safety guidelines.
Salary & Benefits: This is an hourly, non-benefitted position from $18.50- $20.00 per hour, based upon education and experience. (Mileage reimbursement is available.) PTO system to be discussed.
To apply: Submit cover letter summarizing background and interest, resume with education and work history, and contact information for three professional references attached to email, sent to Director of Operations <[email protected]> with Subject line: RETAIL SALES ASSISTANT
Applications accepted now- position open until filled.
Questions? Call 805-924-1628
Friends of the Elephant Seal 250 San Simeon Ave, Suite 3B, San Simeon, CA 93452
Friends of the Elephant Seal is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, dedicated to educating people about elephant seals and other marine life and to teaching stewardship for the ocean off the central coast of California. As a local organization with a global reach in providing educational, scientific, historic and scenic opportunities, we foster safe and respectful viewing of elephant seals and marine life along the Central Coast of California. The Friends of the Elephant Seal is a Cooperating Association with California State Parks (https://elephantseal.org)