Friends of the Elephant Seal Visitor Center
250 San Simeon Ave, Suite 3B
San Simeon, CA
Friendly, detail-oriented and organized team member sought for part-time staff assistant role in the Friends of the Elephant Seal Visitor Center. Duties include welcoming visitors, retail sales, data entry, online order processing and inventory.
Successful candidate must bring retail experience, computer proficiency, excellent customer service skills and a love of the ocean. Will provide training on the northern elephant seal, other marine mammals and local marine life and the natural and cultural resources of the area.
Hours and Schedule:
This part-time position involves 3-4 days a week from 9:30 AM-4:00 PM including regularly scheduled shifts on weekends and holidays. Daily shift times may be adjusted with staffing needs. Pay rate $16.00 an hour.
Health and Safety Requirements:
As a cooperating association with California State Parks, our organization follows all COVID-19 related health and safety guidelines, including distancing, vaccination and indoor public space masking best practices.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Minimum high School diploma or general education degree; college preferred
- Minimum 1 year related retail experience or equivalent
- Excellent English language communication skills by phone and in person with customers, volunteers and internal associates
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to write routine reports and email correspondence
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service
- Own transportation and valid CA Driver’s license required
- Ability to preserve confidentiality of information
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks and/or projects
- Availability to work both weekday and weekend shifts on a fair rotation
- Proficiency in MS Office – Excel & Word
- Ability to learn and adapt to internal database and various computer programs.
- LiveScan background check
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work requires moderate physical effort in the handling of light materials, up to 30 pounds, in non-strenuous work environment. For example, pushing/pulling, lifting, stretching, and stooping, sorting and shelving merchandise and loading and unloading packaging.
Work also involves standing or walking up to 50% of the time.
To apply: Submit cover letter summarizing background and interest, resume with education and work history, and contact information for 3 professional references attached to email, sent to [email protected] with Subject line: VISITOR CENTER ASSISTANT
Applications accepted now- open until filled.
Friends of the Elephant Seal is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, dedicated to educating people about elephant seals and other marine life and to teaching stewardship for the ocean off the central coast of California. As a local organization with a global reach in providing educational, scientific, historic and scenic opportunities, we foster safe and respectful viewing of elephant seals and marine life along the Central Coast of California. The Friends of the Elephant Seal is a Cooperating Association with California State Parks.