DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS- FRIENDS OF THE ELEPHANT SEAL
The Friends of the Elephant Seal is seeking an experienced non-profit organization director for a hands-on full-time key leadership role. Through close coordination with the Board of Directors, the Director of Operations is responsible for coordinating effective operating, marketing, and financial management strategies for the Friends of the Elephant Seal organization. These activities will range from routine administrative tasks, to designing and executing complex initiatives involving staff and volunteers, as well as working with outside partners from both the public and private sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Typical Essential Functions:
- Provides planning and direction for organization’s business processes, including budgeting, procurement and contracting, visitor experience, records management, personnel management and environmental, health and safety compliance.
- Provides effective and clear communication in verbal interactions and written materials, including correspondence, reports, promotional materials, public outreach and press releases.
- Provides consistent oversight for FES operations, including scheduling, meetings, donor stewardship, membership support and human resource management.
- Provides appropriate supervision for staff, external contractors, students, interns and volunteers, including oversight of scheduling, training and performance.
- Develops, implements and monitors grants and prepares required reports.
- Pursues opportunities for professional development and networking, to maximize coordination of operations, event planning and resources.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year university with a degree in business or management
- Four years of relevant part-time or full-time work experience, with demonstrated progression of leadership and management responsibilities.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
- A history of demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy, professionalism and a service-centered attitude.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing in English, using proper spelling and punctuation.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply FES operating procedures.
- Must be able to maintain regular and reliable work hours, work on weekend days as needed, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called in on off days to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Master of Business Administration or equivalent degree, with emphasis in non-profit management, or equivalent in education and experience.
- Five years of senior leadership responsibilities in a non-profit organization.
- Budgeting, grantsmanship and project evaluation expertise.
- Strong public-relations skills
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in-person or on the telephone. Has ability to understand the speech of customers and co-workers and to speak clearly to be understood by customers and co-workers in English.
- Dexterity of hands, fingers, and wrist to operate a computer keyboard and calculator.
- Seeing to read and review a variety of materials.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Ability to stand for the entire workday and to climb steps regularly.
- Lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 30 lbs.
- Commuting on an as needed basis to outside meetings and training locations.
- Physical presence at the job site as needed to perform job duties
Background Check: This position requires a background check.
Additional Requirements: Training will be provided in elephant seals and marine life.
Health and Safety Requirements:
As a cooperating association with California State Parks, our organization is in compliance with all COVID-19 related health and safety guidelines, including distancing, vaccination and indoor masking requirements.
Salary & Benefits: Salary range $58,080- $70,000, commensurate with experience, will be offered in this full-time exempt position. Paid leave, health & retirement benefits package available.
ABOUT US: Friends of the Elephant Seal 250 San Simeon Ave, Suite 3B, San Simeon, CA 93452
Friends of the Elephant Seal is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, dedicated to educating people about elephant seals and other marine life and to teaching stewardship for the ocean off the central coast of California. As a local organization with a global reach in providing educational, scientific, historic and scenic opportunities, we foster safe and respectful viewing of elephant seals and marine life along the Central Coast of California. The Friends of the Elephant Seal is a Cooperating Association with California State Parks. (https://elephantseal.org).
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter summarizing background and interest, resume´ with education and work history, and contact information for 3 professional references attached to email, sent to [email protected] with Subject line: DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Applications accepted now- position open until filled.
Questions? Contact [email protected]